Friends Of The Blaine House

The Blaine House

 

The Blaine House Gardens

In 1920 while the remodeling of the Blaine House was under way, Governor Carl E. Milliken commissioned the nationally-known Olmsted Brothers landscape architectural firm to design the grounds. Only portions of the orignial design were implemented. In 1987 the Blaine House Grounds Committee undertook an ambitious effort to revitalize the grounds. In the spirit of the original design, a new plan divided the site into four areas: front entrance to the east, shrub garden to the south, Governor's Garden to the north, and lawn and service area to the west. The front entrance, including construction of the granite retaining wall and steps, elegant Colonial Revival balustrades and arbors, as well as the introduction of plantings which originally had been proposed by Carl Rust Parker of the Olmsted firm have been realized.

The Blaine House Grounds

The Shrub Garden The Shrub Garden
The Lawn The Lawn
The New England Garden The New England Garden

 

 



Garden and grounds photos taken by Matthew Hunt and Kris Weeks-Oliveri
HometownUSA Affiliated Site

All pages Copyright ©
Site designed and maintained by A2Z Computing Services.

All rights reserved.